20050828

Old Fashioned - or just different? (part 3)

Now - remember that comment about people who don't remember phone numbers - and have them all stored on their phones? I do that too. But I also have it one better.

My truck/SUV (whatever you want to call it). It has all of the bells and whistles. 3 antenna - one for the AM/FM, one for the XM Satelite Radio and one for the GPS for the on-board navigation system.

I don't use the navigation system very much - the data on the DVD is about 2 years old - and some of the road work/changes here - have already made it obsolete (I think it was obsolete the day I took it off the lot) - besides you really have to work to get lost in this town.

Streets in Phoenix - roads that run North-South are numbered - roads that run East-West are named. Further helping is that there is ONE NAMED North-South road - Central Avenue. To the West of Central - are AVENUES - to the East - are STREETS. Oh - and they don't change the name of the street - just because it doesn't go through all of the way - for example - Deer Valley - runs East-West - except where it would have gone through either a reserve or a hill/mountain. But when it stops for one of those - it picks up again on the other side - same road - same lattitude - same direction.

Unless you completely lose track of which way you are going - and if you have a compass in your rear view mirror - you can't do that either ;)

So the only time I use the Nav System is if I am trying to go someplace new and different - and I can just put in the address - and I will get the map w/ turn by turn directions. And an estimate on how long it is going to take to get somewhere (very important when you are carting a toddler around - who doesn't like her car seat for any longer than she absolutely has to be in it).

No comments: