20050918

Traveling for Work

I think this week - when I am flying back East to take care of some server moves - is going to be my first true test of how well I do as a Road Warrior.

My plans didn't firm up until earlier last week - and there weren't any problems booking flights or hotel rooms. Silly me. I shouldn't assume that everything is taken care of - until I actually have a seat assigned to me. I went to check in this afternoon (for my 9am flight) to find that the web wouldn't let me. Uh oh....

Never a good sign - if the automated on-line system can't process the reservation/check-in - it usually means that something is wrong - like the plane has changed (different seat layout or fewer seats), or that there isn't a seat available.

Login to the corporate travel system - and see if I can pull up a seat map from my reservation. NO. OK - next step - go directly to the airline - and try to buy ANOTHER seat on the same flight (this is the only way to see how full the flights are these days). NOT GOOD. There is ONE seat left unassigned - and that is an exit row - middle. On this airline - the exit row seats are assigned at check-in - and only to Frequent Flyers.

So - looks like I better try back later tonight to see if the system has released the hold - or plan on getting to the airport early tomorrow morning - to try to have the earlier check-in time for the flight.

And the best part of this whole fiasco in the making is - that I still have to change planes to get to my interim destination (and then drive 90 mins to get where I need to be).

Happy Happy Joy Joy

1 comment:

Robert said...

Departure was routine - checked in at the Kiosk at the airport - and I got a seat in my preferred zone (aisle - front half of the plane).
Plane was full - and it seems like everyone who travels on Monday morning out of PHX - is a Frequent Flyer - so my status got me squat.

I forgot that AmericaWest - shows movies on flights longer than 3 hours - so I got to see a dubbed version of the new "Longest Yard" - good premise - but they were dropping the f bomb all over the place - and getting it replaced w/ less colorful language (can't show a R rated movie to all on the plane - it is OK when you have indiv movie screens).

Landed on time for the connection - and only ran over one woman who felt that she should have been allowed out of her seat before I went by - and went from one MCO satelite terminal - back to the main - and then out to the end of another one - to find my connection hadn't started boarding yet.

That plane - now on US Scareways - was only 2/3 full - so I didn't have to fight the LOL in my row over the armrest.

Been speding the evening cathing up on all of the mail I missed during the day - and trying to keep my dinner down - while watching MNF - and the Skins' play pathetically.